About NLSIU Bangalore
NLSIU was the first National Law University established in India in 1986. The premier law school was set up with a mission to pioneer legal education reforms, and to anchor the transformation of the Indian legal system through research and policy interventions.
Consequently, the NLSIU was one of the first institutions in the country to introduce the five-year integrated law degree at the undergraduate level with the commencement of the first batch in 1988.
And for over 30 years now, the University has irrefutably remained a leader in the field of legal education in the country. This long-standing record has been possible due to the strong collaborations between legal academics, the Bar, the Bench and the State Government of Karnataka.
NLSIU Bangalore Highlights
Also Known As
PG Diploma , B.A. LL.B. (Hons)
16 courses across 1 stream
Courses Offered at NLSIU Bangalore
B.A., LL.B. (Hons)
A candidate for admission to the B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) Degree Course should have passed the Higher Secondary School Examination (10+2) system or an examination equivalent thereto securing in the first attempt, not less than 45% (General) and 40% (in the case of SC / ST candidates and persons with disability) in the aggregate. There is no age limit for applying to this Course. NLSIU, Bengaluru accepts students from the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) for admission to its undergraduate B.A., LL.B. (Hons). Those who do not clear the qualifying examination with the requisite marks are not eligible for admission. Candidates whose Statement of marks of the qualifying examination is not available at the time of formal interviews, are also not eligible for admission.
LL.M. Degree Programme
The candidate must have completed undergraduate degree and will have to appear for the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) to secure admission into the postgraduate programme. There is no provision for direct admission of Foreign Nationals into the postgraduate course.
Master’s Programme in Public Policy
Candidates with a graduate degree from any discipline are eligible to apply. Applicants must qualify in All India Competitive Examination and Interviews and clear Policy Aptitude Test (PAT).Personal Interviews will be done based on PAT score.
Ph.D. In Law
Duration- 2 -6 Years
The Candidate shall have an LL.M. Degree (regular mode) from recognized University securing an aggregate of 55% marks or its equivalent grade (50% of marks or its equivalent grade in case of SC/ST/SAP).
Ph.D. Interdisciplinary Programme
Duration 2-6 Years
The candidate having a Master’s Degree in any discipline through regular stream with a minimum of 55% or equivalent grade (50%) of marks or its equivalent grade in case of SC/ST/SAP) and a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized University through regular stream shall be eligible for admission;
- The candidate having passed the Company Secretaryship examination conducted by the ICS in India and been awarded Associate Membership of the Institute (ACS) and having a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized University through regular stream shall be eligible for admission;
- The candidate having passed the Chartered Accountants examination conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants and been awarded Membership of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and having a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized University through regular stream shall be eligible for admission.
- Candidates completing Master of Business Laws (MBL) from NLSIU with minimum CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) of 4.00 are eligible to apply.
Integrated Ph.D. programme in Public Policy
Duration 2-6 Years
Postgraduates from any discipline are eligible to apply. Applicants must qualify in All India Competitive Examination and Interviews and clear Policy Aptitude Test (PAT). Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit an online application. After the Policy Aptitude Test, shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.
Doctor in Law
Duration 3 Years
- a) Application along with the research proposal of about 10 pages to be submitted within the stipulated time
- b) The research proposal should contain:
- i) Title
- ii) Statement of the problem and the background information on the subject
iii) A set of research questions along with Hypothesis & Methodology
- iv) A Research Design
- c) The research proposal for inter-disciplinary research shall have components which have a bearing on legal aspects.
- a) The candidate will be selected by the P.G. Council upon consideration of the presentation of research proposal and the report submitted by the expert panel on the oral presentation.
- b) The list of selected candidates as above shall be displayed on the NLSIU website.
- c) The candidate secures admission only on payment of requisite fee as notified by the University within the stipulated period, failing which the selection will be cancelled.
- d) A candidate who has failed once may apply afresh during the next academic year, and the same procedure mentioned above shall be followed.
- e) A candidate who has failed in a second attempt shall not be eligible for any further attempts to seek admission programme in NLSIU. The detailed Regulations relating to M.Phil, Ph.D. and LL.D. are notified on the NLS website.
Facilities at NLSIU Bangalore
The library has a collection of over 70,000 volumes covering a wide range of general and special subjects, comprising of textbooks, reference books, back volumes of journals and reports etc., apart from current legal periodicals. The University subscribes to many international online databases like WESTLAW, JSTOR, KLUWERONLINE, SpringerLink etc. which contain enormous resources like International Case Reporters, Statutes, and Articles from Law Reviews, constituting an invaluable resource to a law school student. The Library has CD-ROM’s search facilities and it has also acquired important CD-ROM databases such as SCC-Online and AIR etc. The Library has all state-of-the-art gadgets with Wi-Fi internet connection and highly modernized Audio-Visual equipment with teleconferencing facility.
- HostelBoys HostelIn-Campus Hostel, Girls HostelIn-Campus Hostel
- Sports ComplexAvailable Facilities:Basketball Court|Football Ground|Tennis Court|Table Tennis
- LabsAvailable Facilities:Computer Lab|Cyber Forensic Lab
- Moot Court (Law)
- Hospital / Medical Facilities
- Wi-Fi Campus